While some people can tolerate caffeine better than others it still has a reputation for its dehydrating and inflammatory effects. If you are trying to cut out caffeine but still want the warm pick-me-up in the morning, then try this skin-nourishing coffee substitute. Made with dandelion root which is full of antioxidants and chicory root which is known for its digestive health benefits, this is a great coffee alternative.
Skin-Nourishing Coffee Substitute
Miss your morning cup of coffee? No need to feel deprived with this nourishing, warm drink, but without the overstimulating, dehydrating effects of traditional caffeinated coffee. I use dandelion root with added natural vanilla, but you can add natural vanilla yourself if you like.
- 6 cups filtered water
- 1 tbsp granulated, roasted dandelion root
- 1 tbsp granulated, roasted chicory root
- 1 tbsp rooibos tea
- Unsweetened coconut milk (optional)
- In a saucepan, boil the water.
- Place the herbs in a tea ball, or loose in the water, and steep for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Strain and serve plain or with coconut milk (if using).
For a richer option, add 1/2 teaspoon organic virgin coconut oil per cup, or 1 tablespoon per pot. For a creamier latte style, combine the tea with 1/2 teaspoon organic virgin coconut oil per cup and coconut milk, to taste, in a blender. Blend for 5 to 10 seconds. For sweetness, add a dash of stevia powder or ground cinnamon. Serve warm.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!