Coco Mocktail Fizz
Missing those cocktails but want to stay on track? Here's a light yummy alternative you can enjoy mojito-style with mint. You can even add fresh berries or lime slices for a festive look. Don't be afraid to take this to parties, but bring extra because your friends will want some too!
- 4 cups unpasteurized coconut water (boxed or fresh from a green coconut)
- 1 packet kefir starter, or 1 teaspoon probiotic powder
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 3-4 drops liquid stevia, or coconut palm sugar
- 1 slice lime
- 2 sprigs fresh mint, or fresh basil
- In a saucepan over medium heat, warm the coconut water to between 92°F and 100°F (33°C and 38°C). Pour it into a clean 1-liter jar with a swing-top lid. Add the kefir starter. Close the lid and shake well. Place the jar in a dry cooler and let ferment at room temperature for 24 to 36 hours. You will know it's ready when the coconut water starts to bubble and turn cloudy.
- Once fermented, add the lime juice and a few drops of liquid stevia, to taste. Pour into a cocktail glass, and garnish with the lime. For a mojito-style drink, macerate the mint in the glass first and then fill with the coconut water. Enjoy cold.