Baked Golden Chicken with Apples and Yams
Every time I visit home, my family makes the most amazing chicken dinners, and I've worked hard to come up with a recipe to match theirs! This version of my family's favorite is savory and sweet. And, I've added magical turmeric to make it golden. We enjoy it with steamed veggies and red rice (antioxidant-rich and with a nutty flavor). Be sure to pour the drippings on top!
- 1 whole organic, free-range chicken
- 1 to 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 large yams, unpeeled, sliced into large pieces
- 1 large organic, unpeeled, cored, and sliced
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground curcumin
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt or Celtic sea salt (or more to taste)
- 1/3 cup apple juice, or Bone Broth
- 1 cup organic red rice, or brown rice
- 2 cups filtered water
- Preheat the oven to 350° (180°C, or gas mark 4). Rinse the chicken and place it in a large baking dish. Rub it all over with avocado oil. Add the yams and the apples to the dish. Sprinkle with rosemary, sage, turmeric, curcumin, and salt; pour in the apple juice. Bake for about 1 hour or until the chicken juices run clear.
- While the chicken cooks, cook the rice in the water according to the package directions.
- Serve the rice, chicken, yams, and apples together, with steamed greens, asparagus, or broccoli on the side, if desired.
Reserve the chicken carcass and any leftover chicken meat to make the Chicken Soup with Rice and Veggies found on page 147 of my book Clean Skin From Within.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!